'What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit' - John Updike

About Me

My photo
Welcome ! My name is Elly Zegers-Heusschen and I live the Netherlands. I am a very creative person with a passion for folklore and native arts and crafts. I am looking forward to sharing this passion with you.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ceramics

I have always been experimenting with paints and fabrics, but somehow I was never really interested in ceramics.  Years ago, when I visited a craft shop, I was introduced to ceramics :  pour clay into molds and after the figurines were fired, paint or glaze them.  I enjoyed doing this very much and I proudly present my handmade nativity set :



A couple of years ago a ceramics class was offered in my village ... however, this time 'ceramics' meant building figurines from clay yourself.  This was a major challenge.  So with my first project I stayed on the safe side and made a 'flat' fruit-bowl :


I loved the result and wanted more !  My next project was an abstract 'bird statue' - a different technique :
I had never imagined that I would love working with clay as much as I did, so the next projects followed :






... a turtle for my patio ...
 










... a penguin ready to leave the 'nest'...




... two 'chattering' chicks ....






... and more fruitbowls...




I hope the above pictures will inspire you to try techniques which you haven't tried before !

Have fun experimenting ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment