'What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit' - John Updike

About Me

My photo
Welcome ! My name is Elly Zegers-Heusschen and I live the Netherlands. I am a very creative person with a passion for folklore and native arts and crafts. I am looking forward to sharing this passion with you.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

'Toothbrush rugs'

I learned about 'toothbrush rugs' when I was visiting Canada last year.  What a wonderful way to 'recycle' old duvet covers and sheets !



'Toothbrush rugs' are one of the easiest and quickest rag rugs to make. They are easy to learn, inexpensive to make, and the result is gorgeous!  Rag rugs are a lot of fun to make and do not require any fancy techniques like crocheting.  You can see the results of your efforts take shape in just a few rows.  This technique is not limited to rugs, you can also make other items like a rag placemat, dog bed, cat bed, basket, or anything else you can think of.

These rugs are called 'Toothbrush rugs' because of the type of tool used to make them. People used to cut the head off an old toothbrush and file it down to a point while using the pre-drilled hole (for hanging your tooth brush) as a place to attach the fabric to.  Today, there are fancy prefabricated tools you can use or you can still make your own.  Technically a rug tool is just a really big needle.





Should you be interested in a workshop 'toothbrush rug making', you can contact me at :
madelief.homemade@gmail.com.  

Have a good day ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I like your rugs, they are cute and it has a good design. So how much the cost of this? I'm sure to be back here. Keep on sharing!

    Orley Shabahang

    ReplyDelete